Budget and Finance
Public schools are among the most significant investments that any community makes collectively. District leaders work to make the most effective use of resources to benefit students, to develop and manage the budget in a responsible and transparent manner and to be accountable to taxpayers.
Each spring, the Jamesville-DeWitt Central School District Board of Education adopts a proposed budget for the next school year that the community then votes upon.
2021-22 Budget Vote Details
Related Budget News
2021-22 Budget Development Calendar
2021-22 Board of Education Budget Presentations
Absentee Ballot Information
2021-22 School Budget Vote and Board of Education Election
Tuesday, May 18, 2021
7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
J-D High School
6845 Edinger Dr.
Proposed Budget: $60,179,653
Budget Change: $1,538,678; 2.62%
Tax Levy Change: $47,147; -0.11%
Virtual Budget Hearing
7 p.m. May 10, 2021
(Zoom link will be posted once available)
2021-22 Budget Newsletter
Seven candidates seek election to four board of education seats
April 21, 2021: Proposed budget aligns with district’s strategic plan
April 20, 2021: Seven candidates seek election to four board of education seats
April 7, 2021: Board invites community to ask questions related to 2021-22 budget proposal
2021-22 Budget Development Calendar
All meetings begin at 7 p.m.
Jan. 25: Regular board of education meeting (Debt Service; Transportation; Operations & Maintenance)
Feb. 8: Regular board of education meeting (Fringe Benefits)
Feb. 25: Public forum
March 1: Regular board of education meeting (Athletics and Central Office)
March 15: Regular board of education meeting (Instruction)
March 15: Legal notice publication of budget hearing and vote (45 days prior)
April 12: Regular board of education meeting and public forum (Revenue and Tax Levy)
April 19: Regular board of education meeting; Adopt budget; Candidate nominating petitions due
May 1: Mail budget newsletter
May 10: Budget hearing and regular board of education meeting
May 18: Budget vote and school board elections
2021-22 Board of Education Budget Presentations
At each regular board of education meeting, the administration will update the board on the budget development process. The presentation below will be updated after each meeting to reflect the topic covered that evening.
April 12, 2021: 2021-22 Budget Development Presentation
How to request an absentee ballot
Call or email Tish Hauser at 315-445-8304 or email@example.com to request an absentee ballot application. If requesting by email, please include your name, address and phone number.
- You may only apply for an absentee ballot on your own behalf.
- You must be a qualified voter.
- A citizen of the United States;
- At least 18 years of age; and
- A resident of the school district for a period of at least thirty (30) days preceding the meeting or election at which you seek to vote.
- Applicants must fill out the application and sign the statement.
- Any qualified voter who may be unavoidably absent on the day of election may deliver application for absentee ballot in person to the office of the district clerk not later than 4 p.m. on May 17, 2021.
- You may not submit your application more than 30 days prior to the election.
- Mail or deliver the application to the office of the District Clerk, Jamesville-DeWitt District Office, 6845 Edinger Dr., DeWitt, NY 13214, no later than 5 p.m. on May 11, 2021, in order to receive the absentee ballot by mail. If you request that the absentee ballot be mailed to you, the district clerk will mail your ballot by regular mail no later than six (6) days prior to the election. Otherwise, the district clerk will deliver to you or your agent, as designated on your application, the absentee ballot, when you or your agent appears in the district clerk’s office.
- This application is good only for the vote to which it specifically pertains.
- For your ballot to be canvassed, it must be received by the school district clerk by 5 p.m. on the day of the election.
NOTICE is hereby given that a public earing for the purpose of discussion of the expenditure of funds and the budgeting for the 2021-2022 school year will be held remotely on May 10, 2021, at 7 p.m. Eastern Daylight Saving Time, in lieu of the annual meeting and pursuant to Section 2017(6) of the Education Law.
NOTICE is also given that voting by the qualified voters of the Jamesville-DeWitt Central School District for the election of board members, propositions and the budget will be held by voting machine between the hours of 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. Eastern Daylight Saving Time on Tuesday, May 18, 2021, at the Jamesville-DeWitt High School.
NOTICE is also given that the following propositions will be submitted to the voters:
Proposition #1: School Bus Replacement
Shall the Board of Education of the Jamesville-DeWitt Central School District (“District”) be authorized and directed to purchase three (3) gasoline buses with cameras at an approximate cost of $111,487 each, one (1) gasoline bus with cameras at an approximate cost of $84,294 and one (1) gasoline bus with cameras at an approximate cost of $81,194, not to exceed $499,952, such sum to be raised by levy of a tax upon the taxable property of the District to be collected in annual installments in the years and amounts as the Board of Education shall determine in accordance with Section 416 of the Education Law and, in anticipation of such tax, issue obligations of the District?
Proposition #2: Library
Shall the Board of Education of the Jamesville-DeWitt Central School District (“District”) levy and collect a tax in the amount of $1,489,406 for the support of the Community Library of Dewitt & Jamesville, pursuant to Section 259 of the Education Law?
Proposition #3: Ex-Officio Student Board Member
Shall the Board of Education be authorized to appoint an ex-officio, non-voting student member to serve on the board pursuant to Education Law § 1804(12), subject to criteria established by the Superintendent for selection of such a student member and further subject to the requirements that such student shall serve for only one year, shall be a high school senior and shall have been in good standing for a period of not less than two years prior to appointment to the Board of Education? If approved, such student member shall be entitled to sit with board members at all public meetings of the board and to participate in all board public hearings and meetings. The student board member shall not be allowed to attend executive session, and shall not receive compensation of any form for participating at board meetings.
NOTICE is also given that a copy of the statement of the amount of money which will be required for the 2021-2022 school year for school purposes may be obtained by interested persons at each school house in the district from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each business day starting May 4, 2021 (other than Saturday, Sunday or holiday).
NOTICE is also given that petitions nominating candidates for the office of member of the Board of Education must be filed in the office of the Clerk of the District between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and no later than 5 p.m. Monday, April 19, 2021.
Four vacancies on the Board of Education are to be filled by a vote to be held on May 18, 2021, at the Jamesville-DeWitt High School (3 – 3-year terms and 1 – 2-year term). The term of the following incumbents expires on June 30, 2021: Dana Corcoran, Wendy Rhodes, Juanita Rivera-Ortiz and Christine Woodcock Dettor.
Each petition must be directed to the clerk of the district, must be signed by at least 25 qualified voters of the district, must state the residence of each signer, and must state the name and residence of the candidate.
NOTICE is also given that the Board of Education has adopted the following rules prescribing the manner of submitting questions or propositions for the purpose of preparing ballots for the voting machine:
1. A verified petition signed by at least 25 qualified voters in the District shall be filed with the Board of Education on or before April 19, 2021, setting forth the proposition or question sought to be voted upon.
2. Such petition shall be subject to approval by the Board of Education and to approval by the District legal counsel as to form and legality.
3. Thereupon the question or proposition shall be placed upon the voting machine for voter consideration.
NOTICE is also hereby given that applications for absentee ballots for election of members of the Board of Education and voting on such other propositions as may appear on the official ballot may be applied for at the office of the Clerk of the School District. Any such application must be received by the Clerk by May 11, 2021, if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter or at least the day before the election if the ballot is to be personally delivered to the voter. Absentee ballots must be returned to the Clerk by 5 p.m. on the day of election. In addition, a list of all persons to whom absentee ballots shall have been issued will be available in the office of the clerk during regular business hours prior to the day of the elections, except Saturday, Sunday and holidays, and will be posted at the polling place.
By order of the Board of Education, Jamesville-DeWitt Central School District.
Timothy Decker, School District Clerk